Sunday, April 12, 2015

Twinkie's Great Adventure

We have 6 guinea pigs and 3 snakes: a Cornsnake and two Ball Pythons.  Last night my husband held Twinkie the Ball Python, as he often does, and she was perfectly happy wrapped around his warm neck.  He tried to put her back but she didn't want to let go.  My husband then decided to hang out with her in the bedroom, where I was already sleeping.  After a few minutes my husband fell asleep.  Twinkie only stayed put for a little while, then went exploring.

My husband woke up a few hours later in a panic because he realized Twinkie was lost.  He woke me up by trying to see around me to see if she was on my side of the bed on the heater.  I began stressing out as did he, when we realized she was no where to be found.  We went back to sleep because there was nothing we could do in the middle of the night.  I took an anti-anxiety pill and went back to sleep.  All I could dream about was finding Twinkie.

I woke up a few hours later and got up.  I looked under the bed and then started working my way through the disaster that is our bedroom.  I searched the closet, the blankets, everywhere.  Finally I gave up and went to make us breakfast.  After breakfast we both began searching.  After 3 hours I noticed that under one of our dressers there was a 3 inch gap.

I cleared the clothes out from in front of the dresser, shined the work light under it, and got down on my stomach.  Sure enough, she was there.  I picked her up and she was a little chilly.  I handed her to my husband and together we put her back into her enclosure.  She went directly under her heated hide.

That was probably one of the scariest several hours I've had in a long time.  I was afraid if she got out of the bedroom, she might make her way to the pet room and go after one of my little guinea pigs.  Fortunately that didn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment