Tuesday, April 21, 2015

So I'm Fat

I am fat.  It's true.  I am probably close to 100 pounds overweight.  How did I get this way?  Well the truth is, I love to eat.  So when my metabolism slowed down in my early twenties, I simply did not alter my diet.  I ate out a lot, ate fast food way too often, and I ate a lot.  Nutritionists always show you the correct portion size.  I'm sorry, that's like an appetizer to me.

It's not that I don't care about my health, because I do, I'm just not willing to cut pierogies out of my diet.  Or pasta.  I do like tofu but my husband won't touch it.  I love beef which of course is the fattiest meat.  I will say this, I am very picky about my cuts of meat.  I won't eat the fat on them.  So I'm saving myself, what, two months off the end of my life?

I had a scare with pre-diabetes this summer.  I was put on Metformin, and through diet I was able to get my blood sugar and glucose back to normal levels.  So now I'm not on Metformin, but my eating habits have slowly slipped back to where they were.  I fully expect to have the same problem this year for my Physical.  And besides Diabetes, I have high cholesterol.  I take Lipitor for that.  It brought it down to 132, which is good.  And then there's the ever worrying Heart Disease.  I do not want to have a heart attack.  Not until I'm good and old anyway.

I have been hovering around 245 pounds for almost a year now.  It's gone up a bit and I brought it back down.  But overall I can't seem to lose weight.  In fact I'm surprised I'm not gaining more weight!  I'd say I wish I were losing weight, but the truth is I'm just not trying.  That's worrisome to my friends sand family.  At my sister's wedding, one old Italian man said I look like my sister but I eat more.  Now I think he meant it as a compliment, but I of course was horrified.  And back then I was barely overweight!

So you might think of me as a lazy slob, who just doesn't give a damn, and you might be right, but I'll be damned before I give up eating.  And I don't mean that literally, I just mean eating for enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment