Thursday, April 30, 2015

Musicals Galore!

Tonight I am listening to my Broadway Soundtrack Playlist.  I love this soundtrack and enjoy singing along, much to the detriment of my husband.  It's 112 songs, 7 hours 38 minutes long.  IT has everything from the Sound of Music up to Sweeney Todd (the Johnny Depp version),  Some might argue that movies shouldn't be counted as "Broadway", but if they were based on a musical I included them.

I used to do Theatre.  Did I tell you that?  I was a Lighting Designer at a local community theatre.  I even won two awards.  I think that Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was my crowning achievement.  I retired after that show, at the ripe old age of 20.  I didn't know anyone to be on my Lighting Crew so I ended up doing most of it myself.  I just lost interest.  Sometimes I miss it, but not for the most part.

I have only seen one Musical on Broadway, and that was the Lion King.  I had Standing Room Only tickets.  I stood in my designated slot next to the immensely talented Shawn Boyle and watched the magic unfold.  In London I saw Miss Saigon and Les Miserables (With the incomparable Lea Salonga as Eponine).  In Boston I've seen Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Beauty and the Beast, Aida, and Rent.  I've yet to see Wicked, which is funny because the aforementioned Shawn Boyle worked on Wicked for like 5 years.  I will see it one day, but not until I can afford it.  I promised my husband we'd go to a Bruins game before we go see Wicked, so I'll need a good deal of money before either of those happens.

I confess since I left the theatre I have not really listened to new Broadway, and therefore none of my songs on this playlist came out after Wicked.  But if you're into the Broadway classics form the 90's and early 2000's, this playlist is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment