Thursday, April 2, 2015

How I Met The Great Shawn Boyle

In Junior High, all my friends were in the school play.  I wanted to join in the experience but was too shy to ever audition. So in 7th grade, with a broken leg and a bright blue walking cast, I joined the set crew of Anne of Green Gables.  I had so much fun that the following year I became Set Director for Once Upon A Mattress.  I ran the Set Crew, made sure props were in place, helped the actors get ready, and soaked the lead actress before her appearance as having swam the moat.

I was still too shy to act, so in High School, I took Art 1 as my elective.  I learned a little bit, but none of my friends were in Art.  They all took Drama.  After school I worked on a lighting crew at a local community theatre and I thought, why not?  Why not take Drama?  Sophomore Year, I dropped Art and was put in a Freshman Drama Class.

The first day of Drama, I was assigned to sit in the front seat, as my last name at the time was Ashdown.  I felt a tap on my shoulder.  There was a boy sitting behind me.  "You're Jenn Ashdown."
"Yes."  "I followed in your footsteps.  I was the Set Director after you."  "Okay."  "You dated Andy Tannenbaum."  Worst thing he could possibly say.  Andy and I were not fond of each other anymore.  I turned back around.  He tapped me again.  "I'm Shawn Boyle."

And that is the story of how I met my best friend 20 years ago.  He is finishing up his Masters in Fine Arts at Yale School of Design this year.  Soon he will be designing shows on Broadway.  No I'm serious.  That's not a pipe dream.  He WILL be working on shows on Broadway, and already has.  He is a very talented Projection Designer as well as Lighting Designer.  One day he will win a Tony Award.  I wish he'd take me but he says he's bringing his mother to the Tony Awards when he's nominated.  She deserves to go, after all she raised him!  But I'd like to think I had some influence at one time.  Way back when I was a Lighting Designer.  He's way more talented than I'll ever be but I did have a few shining moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment