Saturday, July 25, 2015

@wilw and @annewheaton Are My Role Models

I love my celebrities.  Not the Kardashians, or Taylor Swift.  But people who use their fame and power for good.  Ricky Gervais, really genuinely cares about animals.  Stephen Fry cares about...  well let's face it, what DOESN'T Stephen Fry care about?  (Perhaps I might be giving him too much credit, but he has a ready opinion on just about everything).  But what I really look forward to seeing everyday, are the tweets and blog posts from Wil Wheaton.  Yes, the same Wil Wheaton from Star Trek The Next Generation and Stand By Me.  Maybe that's how I first became interested in him, but as I have followed him for the last ten years or so, I have discovered that he is so much more.

Wil Wheaton writes in a blog.  It is one of the original and best kept celebrity, or geek might be more appropriate, blogs out there.  He writes about all sorts of cool things, not all of which I'm into.  I don't play video games or tabletop games, it's true, but I think it's cool he's so passionate about them.  What really touches me are his honest descriptions of what it's like living with depression and anxiety.  He's very brave writing about it, and it has influenced me on my decision to be honest about my mental health struggles.  His wife, Anne Wheaton, is also super cool.  I follow her blog and tweets as well.  She likes to write embarrassing stories, and also sometimes about what it's like to be married to someone struggling with mental health issues.  I applaud this couple,  To me they are true role models.

I also love them to death because of their love for animals.  Anne Wheaton serves on the board for the Pasadena Humane Society, and gets to do a lot of cool things with them.  They have two dogs, and two cats, of which they share pictures on the interwebs.

And let's be honest.  Who doesn't love Wil Wheaton as Evil Wil Wheaton or Slightly Less Evil Wil Wheaton on The Big Bang Theory?  I loved that show from it's debut.  I was one of the first fans, and while I'm not quite up to date on this season's episodes, one of the truest fans, of this awesome television show.

So if by some freak chance either Anne or Wil reads this, I want to say, thank you, for just being so awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment