Saturday, January 31, 2015

Ear Infections Suck

I have my second ear infection in 3 months, in the exact same spot.  I was told if it doesn't get better or if it recurs again I'll have to see an ENT MD.  I had it for 6 days before I finally went to see a doctor.  I just couldn't manage to get in with the Blizzard of 2015 and having to set up a ride at least a day in advance.  In the end I worked it all out. The doctor I saw prescribed two drops.  The first is an antibiotic and the second is for pain and inflammation.  Well I go to fill them and discover insurance only covers the antibiotic.  So I have to wait until the next day when my stepfather can pay for it.  In the meantime I'm taking Tylenol but the pain is really awful at times.

When I was a kid, I used to get ear infections all he time.  I remember one ear infection was especially bad.  It was the holidays and my dad and grandparents were in town.  My dad and my grandfather took me to the Harvard Community Health Plan location just outside of Harvard Square in Cambridge.  I remember (and so does my grandfather) the screaming as the doctor had to remove ear wax just to see inside my ear.  I survived and still have my hearing.

This time I have a middle ear infection.  The membrane that has internal pressure on one side and external pressure on the other was out of place, or something like that.  I didn't really understand it.

The Bruins won last night, 5-2.  I missed the game because I was passed out from exhaustion.


No comments:

Post a Comment