Monday, February 16, 2015

The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Harry Potter

I saw Mockingjay Part 1 this week, and while it was mostly true to the book, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I loved the 1st 2 movies.  Catching Fire is still my favorite.  Especially the scene on the beach when Katniss tells Peeta "I need you."  It's such a beautiful moment.  But Mockingjay Part 1 was well done, don't get me wrong, yet it was not my favorite book.  A lot of people who I like die.  I won't say who in case you haven't read the book.  But it's very depressing.

I also saw the Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies a month and a half ago.  Somehow the Hobbit I found rather boring.  It should not have been stretched so far.  I know that they added background scenes in, but the trilogy was no Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

If I had to pick a favorite series, it would probably be The Hunger Games, then Lord of the Rings, then Harry Potter.  Clearly I like the fantastical series.  The Hunger Games is set in a post apocalyptic world.  It's not really fantasy per se.  I do like it better than any other post apocalyptic movies or books.

Perhaps the reason I love these series so much is not just because they were incredibly well made, but because they were mostly true to the very impressive books.  I wasn't sure I was going to like the Hunger Games when I first went to see it in the theaters without having read the book.  The movie stood well on it's own.  I wanted to see it again and again, so when it was released onto BluRay, I purchased it.  Then I read the books.  I couldn't wait for Catching Fire to come out and when it did I was beside myself, it was so good.

The Lord of the Rings, I saw the Fellowship of the Rings, knowing absolutely nothing about Lord of the Rings.  After I saw it I read the books and became a fanatic.  Harry Potter I saw the first movie grudgingly, (I don't like all the hype), but it was amazing.  I saw the second one immediately, which was in the second run theaters at the point.  Then I read as many books as J.K. Rowling had published.  Afterwards, I was one of those people who got the new books out at midnight on the release date.  When I get into a series, I really get into it.

I look forward to the conclusion of The Hunger Games series.  I wonder which series that has yet to be written that I will become obsessed with next?

No comments:

Post a Comment