Friday, October 30, 2015

Is 5 Years A Lot These Days?

Today is my 5 year wedding anniversary.  It is my first marriage, and really my first long term relationship.  But I'm not sure that's the norm these days.  I know some of my High School classmates are like me and waited until their 30's to get married, so they too are in the early years of marriage.  Then there are some High School Classmates who have married and are divorced, but I think there aren't many of those.  And there are more still who married in their 20's, have children, but have experienced the "downs" in the ups and downs of marriage.  Not to say they aren't good marriages, just normal marriages.

I haven't, in my 5 years, experienced the "downs" of a marriage yet.  We're still in the newlywed "marriage is great!" stage.  Sure we argue and get mad and yell.  But only once have we gone to bed angry.  After we get angry, we take a few minutes, calm down, and have a discussion.  I hope we can continue this process for a long time.

I'm not sure what most marriages are like.  On Facebook, no one ever talks about their marriage, except on occasion to say how fantastic it is.  And on TV and in the movies, on Tabloids and in the media, marriage life is so distorted it can't possibly be "normal."

So I've decided that 5 years is great, but not to worry about making it to 10 years, but just to take it day by day.  Take life day by day.  Because that's all we have, today.


No comments:

Post a Comment