Sunday, October 11, 2015

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

In a few minutes, it will be Monday.  Here where I live, most people will be celebrating Columbus Day, or as some more enlightened communities in the US are calling it, Indigenous People's Day.  But Over the border to our North, it is Thanksgiving.  And since my mother was born and raised there, this is the big holiday my family celebrates every year.  My siblings and their spouses and children, and my mom's closest friends, gather in my mom's apartment, and eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal with all the fixings.  She usually makes something like 20 pies.  This year she had to cut it back to 12.  I think we'll manage.

If you're read my posts over the last few weeks, you'll know I haven't been doing too well.  I was starting to feel better last week, but alas, my mood and psychosis are out of control.  So I'm telling myself, just make it through Thanksgiving with my family, then figure out necessary treatment options.  I haven't seen some of my family in 2 years, because last year we were unable to attend.  And this year I will be meeting my nephew for the first time.  He was born in January, but without a car, I've never met him.

Tuesday morning, first thing, I have an appointment with my Nurse Psychiatrist.  We will talk about my unmanageable symptoms and figure out how to move forward.

So what am I thankful for in such a time of desolation and insanity (I may sound sane while writing this, but I assure you, my hallucinations and beliefs are bad right now)?  I am of course thankful for my family.  Every weekend, either my mother or my step-father, drives up 20+ miles to where we live to take us grocery shopping and to run errands.  I am immensely thankful for that.  I am thankful for the friends and family on Facebook who offer support even when they don't always know what to say or how to deal with me.  I am thankful for my health insurance and Health Care Team, who make sure I am taken care of.  I am thankful for my loving husband who has stood by me through the good times and the bad times.

But most importantly, I am thankful for my life.  I may not always value it.  And I may not always think I want it.  But truth be told, I am grateful for the chance to live my life on this planet, however long I may be here.


No comments:

Post a Comment