Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Depression Hurts

The funny thing about depression, it sneaks up on you and before you know it, you're over your head.  I've been having a lot of trouble with my sleep patterns which is wreaking havoc on my ability to take medications on time, and my mental state.  Some nights I sleep too long, other nights I only get a few hours of sleep.  So I'm trying to go to bed early every day, and waking up early every day.  I have to be up early a few times a week for appointments so it's easier to maintain consistency if I do it this way.

But now I just feel lousy.  My husband's surgery is only a few days away, and while I know it is routine with low risk, it still gives me some anxiety.  But that's not the worst of it.  I just feel lost.  Like I have fallen off the path of life.  Forgotten, alone.

All people get down, but not everyone knows what it's like to have depression take over.  I have some friends who don't understand mental illness at all.  One friend went through a depression during his divorce, but he still understands nothing about it.  It's hard when people tell me to get up and get a job.  Or even volunteer somewhere.  It seems like such a monumental task.  Impossible even.

I'm not lazy.  But I get called lazy.

Life is hard.  I get that.  And I know this feeling will pass and I will feel normal again.  At least, as normal as I ever feel.  I just really need support right now.  I have professional supports in place, but I've lost touch with so many of my social supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment