Monday, December 22, 2014

'Tis The Season

I have only a 320GB hard drive on my computer, and it's almost full.  So for Christmas I asked my father for a TB internal hard drive.  It arrived and I created a recovery disc, and then backed up all my files onto an external TB hard drive we have.  The backup took almost 5 hours.  Then my husband removed the 320GB hard drive and installed the TB hard drive.  We placed the recovery disc into the DVD drive and booted the computer, only to find out we needed to create a system image.  So my husband took out the TB hard drive and put the 320GB harddrive back into the computer.  But the system image was too big, so I deleted all my music, photos, movies, and videos.  I got it down to 70GB.  After 2 hours of creating the system image, We switched the hard drives AGAIN and loaded the system image onto the TB hard drive.  Then I retrieved the files from the external TB drive.  After I'd done that, I went into My Computer to look at all the free space I now had, only to see it was only registering 320GB!

We searched online and tried updating the BIOS but to no avail.  Finally we called HP, the manufacturer of my laptop.  After trying to charge us $59.99 to help, the guy finally admitted that my computer won't take a TB hard drive, it will only use 320GB.  I was distressed.  So we decided to return the TB hard drive.  But it already had all my files on it.  So we downloaded a drive wiping program and changed the boot order to boot this disc.  That took 20 hours to wipe the internal hard drive.  We removed the TB hard drive and put my original 320GB hard drive back in.  Then I retrieved my files from the external hard drive only to discover that my playlists in iTunes were no longer there.  So I spent the last 5 hours recreating my playlists.

My computer is now exactly as it was, with little room to add anything else.

Instead of the hard drive, we bought an HD amplified TV antenna for our TV, since we got rid of cable.  Between that, Netflix, and a free sports website my brother referred me to, I think we'll get by.
We also got socks for ourselves because our bedroom eats socks.

Yesterday we went to The Yard in Manchester, NH to see two of my husband's aunts, their significant others, and his parents.  It was a lovely family brunch.  They practically had to kick us out we were having such a good time.

Today my father came to our apartment to visit.  We had coffee, Christmas cookies, and a nice chat.  Then he took us to Walmart to buy Sparkling Grape Juice for New Year's Eve, and a present for my husband's parents.  It was nice seeing my father.

The Bruins actually won a game.  It was sad though, that it took overtime minutes to beat the Buffalo Sabres.  I mean come on, it's Buffalo!  I'm praying that with the return of Chara and Krejci they actually start winning again.

The Patriots are AFC division champs.  And since Denver lost tonight, the PAtriots will have home field advantage for the Playoffs. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment