Monday, November 14, 2011

It's not a Tumor! Oh but it was a tumor...

I have been exhausted for the last few years.  I always blamed my non-existent energy on mental health issues or being out of shape or something.  But something didn't feel quite right.  The exhaustion couldn't be normal though when I would mention it in physicals I was told to exercise more.  They just didn't understand that I couldn't even exercise.  I wasn't being lazy, there was just nothing to work with.

Finally I dug my heals in at my doctor's office and one of the doctors ran my calcium levels.  It was elevated.  More tests showed that my parathyroid hormone was also elevated and my vitamin D was frightfully low.  All of these are regulated by the parathyroid gland.  Off I went to an endocrinologist who with the help of an ultrasound, found a nickel-sized tumor in my neck on one of my parathyroid glands.

Four months later I was hooked up with a surgeon and out it was cut.  My vitamin D was normal. My calcium and parathyroid levels returned to normal, and now I'm just waiting for the scar to heal.  My energy level is through the roof and I'm trying to get used to having it again.

Next time I feel like something is off, I'm not going to be afraid to push the doctors harder to find out what's wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment