Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Night At The Oscars

I'm blogging while watching.  The King's Speech just won Best Original Screenplay.  I'm going to be honest, I'm rooting for the King's Speech.  It could be the brilliant actors.  It could be the fact that it is about a subject I am eternally fascinated with, the British Royal Family.  Or it could simply be that I am in love with all things British. 

I was a little annoyed at the Kirk Douglas presentation, however.  He slowed down the pace so drastically it was painful.  I'm not sure I get the standing ovation.  Is he some kind of icon from before I was born?  I think perhaps he's had medical issues, and I know that he's very old.  But the fact that he kept dragging out the award just really annoyed me.  Then Melissa Leo's acceptance non-speech was equally painful to watch.  She just stood there and ate up all the time.  And they didn't play her off.  Now the following speeches are rushed because it's running ten minutes behind just because of that one segment. 

I'm beginning to really like Russell Brand.  I think he's actually funny.  I still have to see him fight with Geoff Peterson on Craig. Thank goodness for YouTube.

Let's talk a bit about the fashion for the night.  Sandra Bullock was gorgeous in that red dress.  Mila Kunis wore an interesting dress, but I feel like light lavender may not be the best color choice for her complexion.  Cate Blanchett, what were you thinking?  Anne Hathaway, stunning.  Reese Witherspoon, boring.  Jennifer Hudson had a very interesting dress, and I mean that in a positive way.  Scarlett Johanssen just looked dreadful.  Did she even brush her hair?

Damn.  Christian Bale just won over Geoffrey Rush.  I knew he would, but I love Geoffrey Rush, and I was desperately hoping he would win. 

I have to go back to Anne Hathaway.  Her red carpet dress was okay.  Her white dress for the first hour of the Oscars was gorgeous.  Now, her black and sparkly dress, I just love it.  And that necklace!  As far as hosting goes, their opening was shaky.  Anne's mother was funny, but James' granmother couldn't really deliver her line.  The opening montage was well done, and I liked Alec Baldwin's guest appearance.  Who wouldn't love Mr. Baldwin?

I should really see Inception.  Everyone says it's a really good movie, and it's racking up those awards.  I would have seen it already, but I know I won't understand it.  It seems like I'd have to think way too hard and would be frightfully confusing. 

Oh my gosh!  Harry Potter the Musical!  Love it!  Can I get "A Little Ball of Light" on iTunes?

Okay, life has interrupted my incessant blogging.  I'm not sure which awards I have missed, but I'm sure it was many.  Or have I gone back in time?  Bob Hope is on the screen! 

I am now officially bored.  I hope they move on to the awards I care about soon.  I know that's terrible, if I was nominated for something,it would be amazing.  But I just can't make myself care about people who get up there and read a laundry list of names.  I get it, those names are important.  Oh well.  Maybe if I'd seen more of the movies, I would be more interested in all the awards. 

Oh brilliant!  Tom Hooper won for the King's Speech.  Let's hear what he has to say.  Oh nifty, we can thank his mother for The King's Speech being made into a movie!  Beautiful speech.  "Listen to your mother". 

Okay, Best Actress.  If Natalie Portman doesn't win, I will have a heart attack and die.  So will the rest of the world.  It would be the biggest upset EVER.  And the Oscar goes to...  big suprise.  Natalie Portman for Black Swan.  Don't get me wrong, I so wanted her to win.  Poor woman, she is so emotional.  It must be hard enough to win, but to do it when pregnant.  I love her dress, but what's with the tassels for earrings? 

Here we go.  Doesn't Sandra look lovely?  Come on Colin Firth!  Colin Firth!  Colin Firth! Wow, she's funny.  Love Sandra.  Love.  And the Oscar goes to...  WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Colin Firth for the King's Speech!  YAY!!!!!  Now he really CAN go back to England.  Dance, Colin, DANCE!!!!!  He was a child 20 years ago?  Oh Colin...  Beautiful speech. 

One more award.  Best Picture is all that's left.  It's a commercial break right now, so I can take a moment to reflect.  There are ten films nominated this year.  My prediction will be The Social Network, only because I've been watching the Academy Awards for many years now, and I know how they think.  The King's Speech has already racked up 3 awards in major catagories, so it is unlikely going to be awarded Best Picture as well.  But I could be wrong.  Steven Spielberg is now onstage.  And the Oscar goes to...  THE KING'S SPEECH!!!!!  OMG.  I NEVER would have thought.  I have been proven wrong!  I am so glad! 

Overall, not the best broadcast.  I think James Franco was not a good host.  I think Anne Hathaway was better, but by far, not the best.  And I hate her last dress.  Ew. 

1 comment:

  1. Kirk Douglas was, is, and always will be a major, major icon. Years from now, an elderly, retired Robert Downey, Jr. will take the stage and "slow down" the Oscars with his glorious moment in the spot-light, and you will slap your forehead in frustration when some kid posts, "who is this guy, was he some kind of actor or something from before I was born?"

    The Oscars are about celebrating cinema's past as much as its present, and I found Douglas's and Leo's moments as delightful examples.

    ReplyDelete