Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Want To Be A Comedy Writer

Okay folks, here's the truth.  I want to write.  I want to make people laugh.  I started my first novel when I was 15 in High School.  It ended up being 365 handwritten pages.  It was terrible, but at least it kept me from succumbing to absolute boredom in Math Class.  Sorry Mr. Brown.  I know I was a terrible student.

I have since written the beginnings of more than 30 stories.  It's true that I don't finish most of them, but I'm proud of them nonetheless.  I think some of the strongest points of my writing is the dialog.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I can come up with surprisingly witty banter.  In my head I hear the lines spoken out loud.  If only I could describe how each line was being said, however that's the point in having reader's interpretation.  Detail is not my strong suit.  I am much better at dialog.

I think if I ever wanted to pursue writing professionally, I need to stop "practicing" and take some classes on structure and form.  My nephew announced that he wanted to be a sitcom writer, and he would do what it takes to get there.  He's young, I am not so young.  I think it may be too late for me to join the writers of The Big Bang Theory.  But maybe, just maybe, I can life vicariously through my nephew.

1 comment:

  1. Blergh! Just figured it out! Didn't recognize your blog name, please disregard my somewhat rude last comment, in fact, don't post it, okay? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete